Friday, January 14, 2011

Slideway to Heaven.

Once in a while one will come across a friend so valuable, so precious that that friend almost seems to always be by your side whenever, whatever.

In this case, the friend i had was much closer - i first met him in 2000 when i was just in primary school. he was also young then, and he had nowhere to stay, so i took him in.

he was literally by my side through all the drama and anguish for a good portion of my life thus far.
whenever i got home, he would welcome me back with much movement and waving. surprisingly enough, my other family members did not get the same treatment, although he got used to their presence.
in the times when i was kicked out of the house, he accompanied me and saw me though those difficult times as well.
when i needed company, he was always there to listen, never saying a word but always listening, always watching.
in all the chaotic times, he would be the only calm one in the house, and in the lonely sleepless nights before i met her, he accompanied me until i was able to sleep.


he was a good friend.


the week before, he became sluggish and had an extreme loss of appetite - as this happened once in a while i did not think much of it, but his condition worsened as the days went by despite my family helping to observe and care for him.

i approached a qualified doctor in the field to ask for advice, and she did mention that he was quite old given that he was who he was. another warning came when i was told by my love that i should be prepared for the eventuality of his passing, but i believed that he would press on and see me through for another decade or so..



and then i reached home to find his cold, lifeless body.



he passed on sometime in the evening when i was out. he almost seemed to be sleeping when i saw him, but when i tried to stroke his hand and he did not respond, i knew he was gone.
more than a few tears were shed over his passing.

the friend i had for so, so long would no longer be with me.

silly as it may sound, my family had a little funeral for him where he lay. in all the chaos that was my family's past and despite all their urging for me to release him, they also somehow grew to care for him and love him.

i buried him under my block with the aid of an old wooden cooking spoon and a spatula, before snapping the wooden spoon and marking his grave with a simple post. there i stood for a while in the stillness of the night, before returning to my house and seeing the empty tank outside.

somehow i'm glad that he held on for as long as he did until i got back from my trip to bangkok. at least i got to see him for one last time.



there's a little terrapin-shaped hole in my heart now.
one that was filled and set for over a decade.




R.I.P Squirtle the Red-Eared Slider
2000-2011.
Much loved.. Gone too soon.

I miss you so much :'(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home